Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass ...
Its about learning to dance in the rain!!!
There are many things in life that will catch your eye
but only a few will catch your heart... Pursue those

This is my small effort to make you smile for a while...






Thursday, March 21, 2013

It just takes a bit of courtesy


My hands were full and was struggling to hold pepsi, pop corn and a movie ticket, life seemed superbly exciting at that very moment as we bunch of friends were very busy having merry time. Just out of college when we friends had landed in our so called dream job, we all exactly had what we really dreamt of, an IT Job with some “XX”thousands salary in which “XX” was actually greater than our age at that time! And all we did was movies, parties and trips.  On the pretext of hectic work life I was ok to miss talking to Amma, a good dinner time discussion with Appa and a warm hug to darling sister but never missed meeting random people and catching up for some merry time over the weekends. Such was the age where we dint understand what all this really meant!

On that Saturday as we all friends were standing in queue a friend of mine playing prank spilt her snacks all over my dress unfortunately we couldn’t find tissues and a very clever friend of mine passed on a set of promotional pamphlet which someone forcefully gave it to him on the way to theater, praising his time sense which was of help to me I used some and rest kept it in my bag as we were already late to the movie.
Later that evening once I got back to home and as I was cleaning my handbag I realized the presence of these pamphlet, Just a pause of a moment to read them before putting it into dustbin changed the way I see life. Yes it won’t be exaggeration to say that it takes a second to change your life and that exactly happened to me that moment.

Pamphlet was full of happy smiling little kids, Pictures of some dancing, some singing, some playing anybody would pass it to some nursery promotion but then this was of a foundation named “Courtesy” which is an NGO which works for underprivileged children. A cute hand stretched out towards the reader and mention of help and request for donation as low as of rupees 50 really moved me. I was left perplexed thinking the amount I spent in an evening can actually feed a hungry kid and thought of just by sacrificing my one weekend I would have fed a needy kid really left me shocked.

Very next day, I made a call to the foundation and requested them if I can visit them. Dragging my colleague who I had promised to meet over that Sunday to “Courtesy”, I was there in the small but neat complex of “Courtesy foundation”. As we spoke to the manager there he told us that the place was home for needy children, for some where orphaned by parents as they couldn’t meet the ends and some where orphans by fate.  Manager showed us the neatly made up place with playing area for kids, library, and computer education center which were all made and maintained by the very little donations that they were getting.  Not only this all the kids where provided education in the nearby government school and their complete education was taken care until they reached the age of 18. As I was not surprised enough, Manager also told us that kids were very talented and they would love to perform for us.Vishnu, a5yr old kid stood up from the crowd did namasthe to the crowd and started singing melodiously

 “hetha tayiya nenpagi naan athena mana marugi, sigudila aaki tirugi naan athena mana marugi”

I was wiping my tears wondering if the kid knew the meaning of the song that it was singing so melodiously, my non kannadiga colleague gave a friendly pat to console me. As we bid bye to them and walked out my colleague asked me the meaning of the song.
And this time even his eyes were moist when I told him that kid sang a song which meant that he is crying in memories of his mother who has given birth to him as he knows that he will never again get her back in his life…

It is been 7yrs from that day now, the value of a hug, a compliment, a friendly talk with your family member and warmth of all the people around me was restored in me from that day. Worth of selfless love which I saw in the eyes of little kids there keeps dragging me to that place.

 “Courtesy foundation” has struggled a lot to get to this level of providing good education and healthy living to all the kids who come to this shelter.  I bow to the dedication of “Courtesy foundation” that has been doing this from decade now and I pray that their dream of expanding these facilities to Special children as well comes true with the help of humble people. I will pray and try to be of some help to them to make their dreams come true.Visit: http://www.courtesyfoundation.org/contact.html for more details of this place

I whole heartedly thank indiblogger and ISB http://www.isb.edu/idiya/ for having provided an opportunity to share with larger audience about all this and giving us a chance to voice the needs of such organization. I hope all the deserving organization gets some financial help and attention via this blog contest.

And I realized it just takes a bit of courtesy to stretch out our hands strong and firm and there will be hundreds who will cling on to that and walk with you for long… Be that strong hand and take as many as people along with you it will be truly memorable!

32 comments:

Prashanth said...

Loved the title, so apt...:) You know what, not many people do the thing which you had done. Everyone would see that pamphlet and just brush it side.

Hats off to you, for seeing it first, then calling them up and paying a visit to them, it takes a big heart to do that...:) Loved the NGO name, "Courtesy Foundation" When we see them, we are so blessed and lucky that we have so much when compared to them. I wish them all the best and someday would pay a visit to them...:)

Rahul Bhatia said...

Touching indeed! The small gestures go a long way in making ths a better world especially for children!!Keep up the spirit for such noble cause,Ramya!

Pavani said...

A Small help from us would change their living...small kid singing that song was really moving. Ramya,i remember u telling me one day that u missed going to orphanage due to hectic schedule we had...only today i understand what it is...you have been doing a splendid job from many years...i appreciate ur work for needy and ur kind heart too 

Nilanjana Bose said...

Well done on hightlighting this, Ramya. Too many such children around in the world, every little bit helps. Every adult is a guardian to the children near them, or at least should be. All the best to "your" children.

KParthasarathi said...

What seemed a light hearted post initially turned out to be a revelation to the compassionate side in you.
Ramya,you have gone up in my esteem for using this medium and other sites to bring to attention about this NGO to many who can be part of this noble cause.It costs money for the institution to give the kids a dignity in life and those who can afford should lend a helping hand.

Chapters From My Life said...

Very touching and passionate post Ramya. I totally support your cause as children deserve the best in our society.

Ranjana Bhat said...

This is too touching and is so very inspiring.. All the best to you and courtesy.. I want U guys to win :) see god in whatever good you do is my mantra after reading this post.. Good job... :)

Found In Folsom said...

See....all it takes is a moment..a moment to change your perspective of life..and that is what has happened here. Good luck for the contest..and good luck to you too to keep supporting 'Coutesy' as far as you can and as much as you can.

Ashwini C said...

Wonderful Blog Ramya.....
Even I used to think about it many a times but never got time to visit such places and help them personally.
I really appreciate your goodness in helping them.
All the Best for the contest
Keep continuing your support to them

Ramya said...

@Prashanth: Thanks a lot Prashanth thats really kind of you to make it a point to visit them. sure we all can go there together to meet them.

@Rahul sir: Yeah true in what ever small way possible we can surely help and make this world beautiful :D
Sure Rahul sir will do my best :) and with all your support and encouragement.

Ramya said...

@Pavani: Thanks a lot dear, we all have that kind heart in us so lets all get together in one way or the other to do what little we can do :D

Ramya said...

@Nilanjana Bose: Hey NB, thanks for this comment. Yeah vai this contest I hope many organizations will be rewarded for their hard work.
Yeah :) my children will be very happy.

@Farida Rizwan: Farida mam, thanks a lot for coming here :) Yeah a well nurture children are the real tomorrow so we need to do our bit.

Ramya said...

@KP: Thanks a lot KP, your blessings and motivation will keep me going, Yeah a little donation from as many as people possible will do wonders to these kids :) I hope many hear to them :) and come forward to help them.
Thanks a lot for your encouragement KP.

Ramya said...

@Ranjana Bhat: Waiting for your post on Aapath sahaya, it is one wonderful organization write soon.
Thanks dear

@FIF: Yeah dear just a moment and things change drastically :) thanks a lot for those encouraging words

@Ashwini C: Thanks dear, for your best wishes :). Dont worry you will soon do your bit. Else you can just write or fwd mails about them and do ur bit that way also.

Prashanth said...

Yes why not...its kind of good to give back whatever is possible from our side to the society...:)

Prashanth said...

ನಿಮ್ಮ ಈ ಸಾಮಾಜಿಕ ಕಳಕಳಿ ನಮ್ಮೆಲ್ಲರಿಗೂ ಮಾದರಿಯಂತಿದೆ. ಇಂತಹ ಮನಮುಟ್ಟುವ ಅನುಭವವನ್ನು ನಮ್ಮೊಡನೆ ಹಂಚಿಕೊಂಡಿದ್ದಕ್ಕೆ ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು.

Indiblogger ಮತ್ತು ISB ಹಮ್ಮಿಕೊಂಡಿರುವ ಈ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮವು ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಯಶಸ್ವಿಯಾಗಿ, ತನ್ಮೂಲಕ ಅನೇಕಾನೇಕ ಮುಗ್ಧ ಕಂದಮ್ಮಗಳ ಮುಖದಲ್ಲಿ ಶಾಶ್ವತವಾಗಿ ಸಂತಸದ ನಗುವನ್ನು ತರಲಿ ಎಂದು ಹಾರೈಸುತ್ತೇನೆ.

Raksha said...

Hey Ramya, Nice to meet u at the indiblogger meet today. Following you.

Do visit my blog too.

http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com

M in love said...

Hats off to you for actually calling and helping out. People rarely do that. You had the "courtesy" and more than that you had the heart to help out :) So proud of you

Ramya said...

@Prashanth: Thanks a lot thumba encourage madidiri :) nimmellara support and help idre yenu madbohudu. Thanks for dropping by to encourage me.

@Raksha: hey thanks a lot for dropping by it was very nice meeting you. and yes you have a wonderful blog there have followed you there already

Ramya said...

@Ashwini: Yes Ash it just took a second, :) thanks a lot for your best wishes and waiting for contest results

@M: Thanks a lot dear, very happy that I have friends like you who are there to encourage me :D

BGT said...

A little bit of courtesy from our end goes a long way for an underprivileged child. I have had such an instance and was moved when I thought of supporting the institution.. You made the right decision to read the pamphlet and do something about it.

Deepa from FictionPies said...

Beautiful heartwarming post Ramya! All it takes is a moment to change our whole outlook towards life, isn't it? Good luck with the contest!

Nuthan said...

True justice to keep the inner consciousness at peace, raising one's own values and self-respect too.
More than the post, I appreciate the attitude and the drive to keep that going along the way.
Am sure this is one of those things that has touched your heart that the narration seems so emotional and involved and doesn't seem like an episode that happened 7 years ago..
I really wish the very best to be a strong contender and to cross the winning line.
well, you have won anyway as a person on the morale scale. Good one.

Ramya said...

@Binu: thanks a lot for your encouragement and yeah I hope the people doing such a great job should get some financial help via this contest.

@Deepa: Welcome to Chittrana, Thanks a lot Deepa for your compliments and wishes :)

Ramya said...

@Nuthan: thats really very very nice compliment you have given there, thanks a lot for this encouragement and motivation. It just not ones interest it also encouragement from people around us which matters to keep doing something like that so thanks to all the nice people like you around me who are good enough to support all my thoughts.

Thanks a lot for the wishes, I wish the real deserving people should get the support and recognition via this contest. They are doing a real great job and I am only spreading the word.
:) Thank you nuthan.

Nuthan said...

@Ramya - Everything counts.. spreading the word and supporting the mission.. both.. keep it going!!

Naveen said...

If you actually note, the kids studying and living life in such organization are very happy and are doing very well. Most of the kids are very very talented and even if visitors come, they treat them with utmost respect.

Great credit should go to the people in the organization who help nurture these kids into whoever they are. We should play our small part and contribute too. Playing with them is immense fun. They love visitors too, so we should also make an agenda to meet them often.

Naveen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ramya said...

@Naveen: Thanks a lot for commenting, and very nice that you have been part of such initiative. Next time lets all together go to courtesy.

The Mukhtiars said...

nice one

DEBAJYOTI said...

thanks for writing this post Ramya and for sharing the link!

i don't see any option to donate online. will ask my friends in bangalore to visit the place and make a donation, and also ask them how outsiders can donate.

Ramya said...

@Aliasgar: thanks a lot :)

@Deb: thats very kind of you and yes it will be very helpful for Courtesy :)
Let me know if you want any assistance I keep visiting the place so can talk to the people there